- Download VMware Server for free from VMware. [http://www.vmware.com/products/server/]
- Download the ISO for CENTOS and put it in your "C:\Virtual Machines" folder, then mount it from within VMware from the "Datastore". [I get them from http://www.kernel.org]
- Make sure the Intel VM Extensions are enabled in your BIOS if you have them.
- Install CENTOS on VM as you would for a Physical PC.
- Setup SSH and SCP and then interact with your box via PuTTY, WinSCP and HTTP.
He seemed pretty pleased with the outcome.